This udon is on of my favorites! I love the fact that it is so simple, yet so good J
The important thing is to get good noodles – I have bought fresh udon noodles, packed in airtight bags. I think this way your udon will be nice and thick (to compare to dry version) – just how I like it the most 😉
When cooking the vegetables remember that the best are when cooked al dente!
- 4 breasts chicken – cleaned, fat removed and dried – cut into small cubes
- 4 large carrots – cut into pinky finger size pieces :)
- 1 green bell pepper, cut into thin stripes
- 2 red bell pepper, cut into stripes
- 1 onion – cut into slices (half moons)
- 2 small zucchini – cut into pinky finger size too :)
- 1,5 tablespoon oyster sauce
- ½ cup soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 800g (28.2oz) fresh udon noodles
- Chives, chopped
- Using a wok or a very large pan, heat the sesame oil on a high heat.
- Add chicken and fry on a high heat until chicken browns, mixing it often. If you pan is not too big, you can make it in two batches.
- Once chicken is browned add carrots.
- Lower the heat to medium high and fry chicken with carrots, mixing it from time to time.
- Add onion, both bell peppers and continue frying. Mix everything.
- After few minutes add zucchini, then oyster sauce and mix all the ingredients together.
- After 5 minutes add around ¾ of your soy sauce. Bring it to boil, then cover the pan, lower the heat and fry it for around 5 to 10 minutes.
- When vegetables are getting softer but still crunchy and tender mix the remaining soy sauce with cornstarch and add it to chicken and vegetables.
- Add some fresh black pepper and mix.
- Add a bit of salt if needed (soy sauce will make it pretty salty so try the food before adding any extra salt!).
- Cook udon noodles according to the instructions on the package.
- Drain off cooked noodles and add them to chicken and vegetables.
- Mix everything together very well so the sauce covers noodles well.
- If needed add a bit more soy sauce (not too much! You want the sauce to stick into the noodles not noodles to swim in it).
- Add chives just before serving.
- Enjoy it!