This tart is just perfect for the summer! It’s full of fruits and with a delicious citrus filling inside. Perfect for hot afternoons 🙂
- 1 ¼ cup all purpose flour
- ½ cup cold unsalted butter (cut into small pieces)
- ⅓ cup sugar
- pinch of salt
- Citrus Pastry Cream:
- 2 cup whole milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 large egg yolks
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- ½ cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- ½ teaspoon lemon zest
- Lemon juice of ½ lemon
- Salt (pinch)
- Lots of strawberries (around 500g/ 1lbs)
- Preheat the oven to 180C (350F).
- Using a mixer, blend flour, butter, sugar and salt until combines and forms the dough.
- Transfer the dough into the pan with a removable bottom.
- Flour your fingers and press the dough evenly into bottom and sides of the pan.
- Transfer the pan to the fridge and cool for around 10-15minutes.
- In a meantime, prepare the filling: Place the milk, vanilla extract and salt in a medium pan over medium heat and cook until milk starts to simmer. Turn off the heat.
- In a medium bowl place the sugar and egg yolks and mix. Add cornstarch and mix again until combines.
- Pour about ½ cup of hot milk into the egg mixture, whisking constantly until incorporated.
- Pour the mixture back into the pan with milk and cook over medium heat, whisking constantly, until it thickens.
- Transfer the filling into a bowl and add butter. Using a mixer beat all the ingredients until combined.
- Cover the filling with a plastic wrap (it will prevent a skin from forming) and cool it until chilled (around 2 hours).
- Take your crust out of the fridge. Using a fork, prick the dough all over, then bake 25-30 minutes.
- Cool it completely in pan.
- Clean and hull the strawberries. Cut them into half and set aside.
- Take the filling out from the fridge and whisk it until creamy. Spread the filling evenly in the cooled crust.
- Starting from the outside and working your way to the center of the tart, put the strawberries into the filling.
- Serve immediately.
Note: I used a 23cm (9inch) tart dish.