Recipe is for 2 persons
- 3 eggplants cut into thin slices
- 600g (1.3lbs) grounded beef
- 1 large onion, cubed
- 3 garlic cloves, pressed
- 2 cans (800g/1.8lbs) cubed tomatoes in juice
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups milk
- 100g (3.5oz) Feta cheese + a bit more to sprinkle
- 150ml (2/3 cup) dry white wine
- 3 teaspoons tomato paste
- ½ teaspoon oregano
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon olive oil + extra for a baking sheet
- ¼ cup chopped parsley
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Turn the oven to a grill function, on a medium high. If you do not have such option, use a regular function on 200C/390F.
- Grease a baking sheet with some olive oil then put eggplant slices and sprinkle with salt and olive oil again (not too much).
- Grill for around 12-14 minutes (turning once in a half time) until eggplants are soft, lightly browned. Take them out of the baking sheet and set aside.
- In a large pan, heat olive oil on medium high heat, then add onion and garlic and fry until translucent.
- Higher the heat and add beef. Fry until meat gets lightly browned, stirring constantly.
- Add wine and cook for a minute, then add tomato paste. Stir to distribute the paste evenly.
- Add tomatoes, salt, pepper, oregano, cinnamon and parsley. Taste the sauce and add more salt if needed.
- Lower the heat to medium and cook for around 15 minutes, stirring from time to time.
- Preheat oven to 180C/ 360F.
- In a medium pot on a medium high heat, melt the butter then, add flour. Whisk well to combine.
- Add milk, still whisking, and bring to boil.
- Lower the heat and keep whisking until the sauce thickens.
- Add salt, pepper and nutmeg. In the end add feta cheese and stir until melts and combines with the sauce.
- In a large baking dish, spread eggplant slices in an even layer, then top with meet mixture and cover with another layer of eggplant.
- Spread the sauce evenly over the whole dish.
- Bake for around 35 minutes, until moussaka gets lightly golden.
- Sprinkle the remaining Feta cheese all over the dish and serve.