This is one of my favorite dishes recently. Not only that it’s healthy but it is easy, filling and really good ☺
It is prepared in a similar way as a traditional risotto, however I think that beetroots go much better with barley than with rice, right?
Well, see for yourself ☺
- 2 medium beetroots
- 1 cup barley
- 0,5 cup white wine
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 liter chicken broth (can be substituted with vegetable broth)
- 0,5 cup feta cheese
- Parsley, chopped
- Salt and Pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon marjoram
- Prepare your beetroots – there are two ways of doing that: you either peel them and cook in a water until soft (cutting them into larger chunks might help) or wash them well, cut in half (keeping the skin on), warp in aluminum foil and bake in 180C/360F for around an hour until they are soft. Once they cool a bit, peel the skin out.
- When beetroots are cooked and cooler, shred them and quick blend in a blender. You want to have small chunks of beets, but not puree! Reserve them for later.
- Pour a tablespoon of olive oil into a larger pot and crash a clove of garlic on a medium heat. After a minute add barley, switch heat to high and fry everything together for a few minutes. In a meantime heat your chicken broth in a separate pan until it boils, then keep in a low heat.
- Add wine, stir and wait until it soaks in barley.
- Add a half a cup of chicken broth and stir well until it soaks in. Repeat again and then add shredded beetroot, mixing all together.
- Add marjoram and some black pepper.
- Keep adding chicken broth until barley gets soft and your risotto is nice and smooth.
- In the end sprinkle feta cheese in and keep stirring until it melts in.
- Add chopped parsley, stir and it’s ready to serve!